8th/9th Grade Team
8th/9th Grade Coach: Mike Lucia - email@example.com
***Thank you for everyone's help and food items to make the 2014 Hitting Derby and Year-End Celebration at Gillette a Success***
8/9 Grade Baseball Schedule - 2014
Blue - Home Green - Away
- End of Season
Game 1 Recap - CNS - 14 Baldwinsville - 2
- On a sun-soaked day at Baker Field #5, Opening Day proved to be a success for the visiting Northstars. After spotting the Bees a 2-0 lead after one, the Northstars bats came alive scoring the next 14 runs of the game with a 14-hit attack. The pitching staff limited the Bees to five hits while striking out 10. The Northstars will now head into the break looking forward to their next match-up in Fort Ontario versus Oswego.
Pitch Count: Persse - 55 Ludden - 57
Game 2 Recap - CNS - 1 Liverpool - 7
- Traveling to Liverpool Middle School for a game versus the Warriors, the Northstars bats were limited to four hits by the Liverpool pitching staff. The contest was a tight 1-1 pitching duel going into the bottom of the sixth before the home team strung together some timely hits while plating 6 runs to secure the victory. The Northstars will now focus their efforts on Rome as they come to play at the JHS Front Field.
Pitch Count: Furcinito-Zapanta - 54 Lonergan - 32
Game 3 Recap - CNS - 1 RFA - 7
- The visiting Black Knights spoiled the home opener for the Northstars as the Rome pitching staff limited the home team to one run on four hits. At the plate, the visitors scored their seven runs on 10 hits as they handed the Northstars their second straight 7-1 loss. The Northstars look forward to the challenges ahead in upcoming games versus Auburn, F-M, and Baldwinsville.
Pitch Count: White - 52 DeSocio - 58
Game 4 Recap - CNS - 10 Auburn - 6
- After spotting the home team a 4-1 lead after one, the Northstars rallied for 9 runs in the final three innings. In a true team effort, the Northstars bullpen shut the Maroons down recording all 21 outs while the bats did the rest scoring the ten runs off of nine hits. The Northstars will get back on the road again as they travel to F-M for their next contest.
Pitch Count: Ludden - 14 Persse - 65
Game 5 Recap - CNS - 6 F-M - 1
- Making the trip to Manlius and playing on the varsity field, the Northstar pitching staff and defense held the home team to one run off of seven hits. At the plate, the visitors made good contact with the ball resulting in seven hits total and the team scored five runs in the top of the 4th enroute to the road win. The team will return home for a Friday contest vs the Bees.
Pitch Count: Lonergan - 60 Furcinito-Zapanta - 54
Game 6 Recap - CNS - 6 Oswego - 0
- The Northstars notched their first home win of the season versus the visiting Bucs from Oswego. The pitching staff held the visitors to zero runs on three hits while strking out 10 of their batters while the four-hit, five-run third inning provided enough at the plate to lead the team to victory.
Pitch Count: DeSocio - 53 White - 35
Game 7 Recap - CNS - 3 West Genesee - 1
- Thanks to the hospitality of the OCC coaching staff, the team had the opportunity to play at the college's new baseball complex as the rained held off for the entire evening. After getting behind 1-0 after one, the Northstars scratched across a single run in the 5th, 6th, and 7th inning behind five hits to preserve the victory. The pitching staff was able to scatter seven hits in the seven inning contest as the Wildcats were only able to plate one run.
Pitch Count: Persse - 54 Ludden - 38
Game 8 Recap - CNS - 1 Liverpool - 3
- It was not a welcome homecoming for the Northstars as the visiting Warriors pitching staff held the home team to one run on two hits. Despite a valiant pitching performance by the Northstar staff in scattering seven hits over seven innings, it was not enough to keep the Warriors from defeating their cross-town rivals. The Northstars will now look ahead to Rome as they seek payback for an early season loss to the Black Knights.
Pitch Count: Furcinito-Zapanta - 70 DeSocio - 27
Game 9 Recap - CNS - 3 RFA - 0
- Taking to the road for the final time this season, DeLutis field in Rome was the site of the contest that featured a dominant pitching performance from the Northstar pitching staff. The Black Knights' bats were limited to a single hit over the seven inning shutout. Early offense for the visitors was provided by a six-hit attack along with several hard-hit balls that resulted in difficult outs.
Pitch Count: Ludden - 61 White - 24
Game 10 Recap - CNS - 11 Auburn - 4
- Playing the final time at home this season, the Northstars jumped out to an early 5-0 lead after the first inning and never looked back. A 14-hit attack was plenty of offense for the pitching staff that only yielded five hits to Maroons throughout the seven inning contest. The Northstars will hit the road to wrap up the 2014 season at Baker Field #5 due to a conflict at the Gillette Complex.
Pitch Count: DeSocio - 64 Lonergan - 32
Game 11 Recap - CNS - 7 Baldwinsville - 2
- The 2014 season came to a successful conclusion as the visiting Northstars once again jumped out to an early lead after the first inning and added to that lead as the game progressed. A dominant pitching performance was put in by the staff scattering the Bees' five hits over seven innings while a ten-hit performance at the plate was enough offense to score the Northstars' seven runs.
Pitch Count: Ludden - 63 Furcinito-Zapanta - 44
8/9 Grade Baseball Roster – 2014
Joshua Bigford 8th 1st #23
Joseph Brisson 9th C #12
Tristen Cummings 8th LF #3
Owen DeSocio 9th 1st #27
Joel Farabee 8th 2nd #11
Logen Field 9th INF #9
D'Ante Furcinito-Zapanta 8th SS #10
Michael Jenkins 9th 2nd #29
Keith Kuss 8th C #16
Jared Lonergan 8th RF #21
Joshua Ludden 9th RF #25
Joseph Mallaro 8th CF #17
Logan Persse 9th SS #15
Jacob Plumley 9th 3rd #31
Timothy Schinto 8th CF #13
Michael Walker 9th INF #30
Mason White 8th 3rd/LF #4
- Monday - Season Complete
- Tuesday - Season Complete
- Wednesday - Season Complete
- Thursday - Season Complete
- Friday - Season Complete
- Saturday - Season Complete
"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."
- John Wooden
2014 Tryout Information
(DOC -43 KB)
This file describes the activities for the first two weeks of the 2014 season for all 7th, 8th, and 9th graders.
Tryout Evaluation Form
(DOCX -20 KB)
This file is used by the 7 - 9 coaches when evaluating the players at tryouts.
||"doc file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Word website."
||"docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format."