8th/9th Grade Team
8th/9th Grade Coach: Mike Lucia - firstname.lastname@example.org
***Parents of Players wanting to tryout for baseball in grades 7 - 9: The portal will be open for you to complete the required paperwork starting on February 28th and the link can be accessed by clicking on "Family ID" below:
8/9 Grade Baseball Schedule - 2016
Blue - Home Green - Away
5/26 Auburn NSJHS - Front Field 4:30 PM
Game 1 Recap - CNS - 4 RFA - 1
- Strong pitching and defensive performances were put in by the Northstars in their sun-soaked opener at DeLutis Field in Rome. The pitchers scattered eight hits over the seven-inning contest while striking out six Black Knights. At the plate, the Northstars were able to score their four runs off of six timely hits.
Pitch Count: Persse - 49 (First Pitch Balls/Strikes - 10/5) Wieczorek, M. - 51 (3/10)
Game 2 Recap - CNS - 4 West Genesee - 1
- The strong pitching and defense continued for the Northstars in their home opener vs West Genesee on the front field of the Junior High School. The pitching staff yielded one unearned run and held the Wildcats to a single hit throughout the seven inning contest. Despite stranding 11 runners, the Northstars were able to produce enough at the plate and on the base paths to generate the four runs off of nine hits.
Pitch Count: Wieczorek, N - 48 (First Pitch Balls/Strikes - 3/10) Lioto - 43 (3/9)
Game 3 Recap - CNS - 5 Baldwinsville - 1
- Despite the threat of rain throughout the afternoon, the Northstars and Bees were able to complete their well-played seven inning contest at Reeves Field. The pitching staff was able to continue their solid start to the season by yielding only a single run off of six hits while at the plate, disciplined at-bats generated the five runs off of seven hits.
Pitch Count: Wieczorek, M - 56 (First Pitch Balls/Strikes - 5/9) Persse - 46 (4/7)
Game 4 Recap - CNS - 2 Liverpool - 3
- A road trip to Liverpool Middle School resulted in a walk-off defeat for the Northstars in a well-played baseball game by both teams. The Warriors executed slightly better than the Northstars to plate their three runs despite the visiting team's eight hits. The pitching staff held the Warriors to four hits and four walks throughout the contest as the Northstars look forward to the return trip for these two teams.
Pitch Count: Wieczorek, M - 42 (First Pitch Balls/Strikes - 8/4) Wieczorek, N - 24 (2/6) Lioto - 23 (3/3)
Game 5 Recap - CNS - 7 Auburn - 0
- The long road trip to Auburn HS did not effect the Northstars bats as they plated four runs in the top of the first and never looked back on a picture perfect day for baseball. Eight hits brought about the Northstars seven runs and with one out in the bottom of the seventh, the pitching staff conceded their first hit of the game while striking out seven.
Pitch Count: Piazza - 31 (First Pitch Balls/Strikes - 4/5) Persse - 51
Game 6 Recap - CNS - 9 West Genesee - 1
- Traveling to Optimist Field for the first time, the Northstars woke up from a sluggish start by sending 11 guys to the plate in the top of the third and pushing across six runs, all with two outs against them. All total, the bats accounted for their nine runs off of 11 hits while the pitching staff limited the home team to five hits and one unearned run.
Pitch Count: Wieczorek, M - 69 (First Pitch Balls/Strikes - 4/14) Wisely - 37 (3/7)
Game 7 Recap - CNS - 9 Baldwinsville - 8
- After spotting the visiting Bees a five run lead after the top of the third, the Northstars rallied to win on a walk-off HBP in a back and forth game the the Junior High School. The Bees were the first team to get comfortable in the batter's box but every time they pshed acorss a run, there was a response in the bottom half of the inning infcluding the game tying and game winning runs in the 7th. All total, the Northstars managed 10 hits including three straight in the final frame to secure the victory.
Pitch Count: Lioto - 53 (First Pitch Balls/Strikes - 5/8) Piazza - 59 (6/11)
Game 8 Recap - CNS - 3 F-M - 1
- The final road trip of the season sent the Northstars to Manlius to take on a well-coached Hornets team. The pitching staff bounced back by allowing a single earned run off of six hits. At the plate, the visitors manufactured their three runs off of seven timely hits and intelligent baserunning to secure the team win.
Pitch Count: Persse - 64 (First Pitch Balls/Strikes - 8/10) Wieczorek, M - 45 (3/7)
Game 9 Recap - CNS - 8 RFA - 10
- A furious bases loaded rally by the Northstars was halted when a line drive was gloved by the Black Knight 3rd baseman on a picture perfect day at the Junior High School. Despite sprinting out to a 4-1 lead, the Northstars found themselves trailing by four entering the final frame and after plating two runs and navigating a pitching change, the Black Knights shut the door on the rally with all three bases occupied in this high scoring affair.
Pitch Count: Wieczorek, N - 74 (First Pitch Balls/Strikes - 6/15) Wisely - 39 (6/7) Kahn - 17 (4/2)
Game 10 Recap - CNS - 13 West Genesee - 6
- The Northstars overcame typical Monday game obstacles and completed the season sweep of the Wildcats on a sun soaked day at the Junior High School. The pitching staff gave the team a quality start and the bats did the rest as the home team stroked 12 hits including batting around in the second inning while scoring seven in that frame.
Pitch Count: Piazza - 54 (First Pitch Balls/Strikes - 5/14) Lioto - 39 (4/6)
Game 11 Recap - CNS - 6 Liverpool - 11
- A back and forth contest between the Northstars and the Warriors led to a defeat on the front field of the Junior High School. With the scored knotted up at three after two innings, the Warriors broke the game open in the top of the fifth by scoring five runs and despite a strong effort in the 7th, the Northstars could not close the gap enough. The Northstars look to rebound in the final contest of the season vs Auburn.
Pitch Count: Persse - 32 (First Pitch Balls/Strikes - 3/8) Wieczorek, M - 74 (12/12)
8/9 Grade Baseball Roster – 2016
Player Grade Position #
Chirico, Carmen 8 2nd 3
Gonzalski, Conner 9 1st 35
Grasso, David 9 OF 4
Khan, Gabe 9 OF 9
Lioto, Anthony 9 SS 23
Nesci, RJ 9 2nd 15
Parzych, Chase 9 DH 25
Piazza, Tyler 8 SS 13
Persse, Justin 8 OF 11
Rockwell, Cole 8 OF/C 21
Seliger, Daniel 8 OF 12
Stuart, Logan 8 SS/C 26
Taladay, Tim 9 3rd 10
Wieczorek, Michael 9 3rd 17
Wieczorek, Noah 7 1st 27
Wisely, Carter 8 1st 24
- Monday - Game vs West Genesee @ JHS Front Field 4:30 PM
- Tuesday - Game vs Liverpool @ JHS Front Field 4:30 PM
- Wednesday - Practice 3 - 5 PM JHS
- Thursday - Game vs Auburn @ JHS Front Field 4:30 PM
- Friday - End of Season
- Saturday - End of Season
"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."
- John Wooden
2014 Tryout Information
(DOC -43 KB)
This file describes the activities for the first two weeks of the 2014 season for all 7th, 8th, and 9th graders.
Tryout Evaluation Form
(DOCX -20 KB)
This file is used by the 7 - 9 coaches when evaluating the players at tryouts.
||"doc file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Word website."
||"docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format."